Well I’ve survived one day for every night it rained on Noah’s Ark.
Or one day for every year the Israelites wandered in the desert.
Or one day for every day Jesus fasted in the wilderness.
…What I’m saying is that in Biblical terms I have gone through a long ordeal.
1st Quarter grades are due by the end of the week. I’m not a huge fan of arbitrarily chopping up my semester classes into two parts, but it will give me a chance to “reset” my classes. Talk to them about what has been working and what hasn’t. Let them feel like they get a fresh start and try to pull some of the kids back in who have begun to disengage or have already disengaged.
Tomorrow I lose a whole day of instruction because my students will be taking the PSAT-NMSQRT or as I like to call it the “PEE-SAT-NIM-SQUAT”. But I sorta of need a breather because I make a very, very rookie mistake today. I didn’t have back-up plans.
I had a beautiful lesson plan that began with a review with quizlet live, moved into practice of yesterday’s new material with a goformative assignment, and then closed with Dan Meyer’s Graphing Stories with a final short practice assignment.
It was great. It worked really, really well in first block. And it all depended on the internet.
You probably know where this is going.
The internet went down at the beginning of my second block. It didn’t come back up until the end of my second block. I had absolute no back-up plans and my entire lesson did not work without internet. None of it.
Not Quizlet Live.
Not Graphing Stories.
None. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Zero.
I had to wing it. I had them organize into teams and we played the review game I wrote about a few days ago. I made up problems from my head. It went terribly. It hadn’t been long enough since they played it (just last week) and so it quickly became unexciting. No one was engaged. They were off-task and wild. I was so drained by the time lunch rolled around.
But luckily internet went back up and my final block went very smoothly.
I am feeling the strain of my workload. Currently after I post this I need to:
- Enter today’s grades
- Go to the gym
- Go to church smallgroup
- Set up assignments for my online calculus course that I teach because I got behind this weekend
- Grade last week’s quizzes
- Grade last week’s tests. (The ones that I can. It was online and some of them did not submit so they have to go to tutoring and testing.)
- Fill out a reflection for a formal observation that I did not do because I didn’t realize the observation was a formal one and now I’m behind.
- Also I need to update my driver’s license because my registration expires this month on my car AND because South Carolina is foolish and they assume if you buy a house it’s because you are going to rent it out so they automatically up the taxes for landlord level taxes unless you fill out a form but they wouldn’t accept my form because I don’t have an SC driver’s license yet because money has been tight and now I have to do it and I have to resubmit the form and I hate bureaucracy and once again….SOGUISBHOIVNOUBAOIVNBSODIUBOAIGBAOSIVHBSDOBHOFBASOIUBASOIGBSODBASOIVBIODSBOIASHBOAIGBEOIHVBAWIOGBEOIVBAWOIGEHBFIAWHG
Despite my two outbursts on here I’m actually in a pretty good mood. I got up at 5:30 AM today and went for a run and I’m feeling pretty nice right now.
Probably no post tomorrow because I won’t be teaching. I can’t believe I didn’t have a back-up plan.
Thanks for reading.